ServiceControl is the backend service for ServicePulse, ServiceInsight and third-party integration. It collects and stores information from monitored NServiceBus endpoints and exposes this information for consumption by various clients via a HTTP API.
ServiceControl provides the monitoring capability by analyzing the configured error and audit queues. It can extract information like endpoint name, queue name and, in case of error messages, the exception stack trace, etc. This information is stored in a built-in internal database.
To allow ServiceControl to monitor endpoints:
- ServiceControl should be installed and at least one instance should be configured using the same transport as that of the endpoints that are being monitored.
- For every endpoint that is being monitored by ServiceControl, configure the endpoint for auditing, and make sure that the audit queue is the same as the audit queue that ServiceControl is configured with.
- For every endpoint that is being monitored by ServiceControl, configure recoverability, and make sure that the error queue is the same as the error queue that ServiceControl is configured with.
Besides being able to ingest audit and error information, ServiceControl can process other types of information generated by monitoring and debugging components
To enable ServiceControl to gather this information, configure the solution appropriately:
- enable auditing to collect data on individual messages;
- configure recoverability to store information about message processing failures;
- install plugins on the endpoints to monitor their health and sagas and use custom checks.
ServiceControl will detect important system occurrances and raise integration events to notify subscribing endpoints about them.
The ServiceControl Transport Adapter decouples ServiceControl from the specifics of the business endpoint's transport to support scenarios where the endpoint's transport uses physical routing features not compatible with ServiceControl or where endpoints use mixed transports or multiple instances of a message broker.